Read “Sir Philip was Confused” and answer the questions that follow.
1. King Mortimer had sent Sir Philip into the wilderness
with instructions to destroy
the dragon that had been terrorizing the countryside.
2. The King had more than 500 knights, but he had chosen Sir Philip and he did not stop to explain
why. King Mortimer viewed dragons as the worst menace
in the kingdom
3. When Sir Philip had first set out on his quest
, he was filled with a sense of anticipation
of the events to come. In his imagination
, he could see what was going to happen. He would slay
the dragon and receive
the congratulations of King Mortimer.
4. But things didn’t quite turn out that way.
5. The previous
evening, Sir Philip had arrived near the lake where the dragon was supposed
to live. He camped for the night, sharpened his sword, and went to bed early. In the morning, Sir Philip opened his eyes. A pair
of eyes was looking into his. Large eyes. Orange eyes. Dragon eyes.
6. Sir Philip jumped out of his sleeping blankets in a great hurry, knocking over his sword. It made a great clattering noise. He chased after it. His heart
was pounding with fear. He could almost feel the flames shooting from the dragon’s mouth to roast him alive. Standing there, he suddenly
recognized that he didn’t feel very roasted, or even hot. In fact
, he felt quite cold. Looking down, he figured out why. He wasn’t wearing any pants.
7. “Chilly?” asked the dragon. “Wh—what?” asked Sir Philip, shivering. “I suppose
you’ve come to slay
me,” said the dragon.
“Well, yes, I have,” said Sir Philip. “How tiresome
,” said the dragon. “Once every few months, some king or other sends a knight
out here to try to slay
me Gets kinda boring
, if you ask me. Don’t you people have anything better to do?”
8. “You’ve been terrorizing the countryside!” said Sir Philip. “Baloney,” said the dragon. “You eat the people’s sheep,” said Sir Philip. The dragon laughed. “I’m a vegetarian
,” he said. “Mostly I like ferns.” “But haven’t you been scaring the people?” “People get scared
when they see me, I suppose
,” said the dragon. “But that’s just because I’m big.” “And you shoot fire out of your mouth,” Sir Philip pointed out. “A bad habit
,” admitted the dragon. “But I’ve never harmed anyone.”
9. Sir Philip looked confused
. “But what happens now? I have a reputation
. If I come home without slaying you, no one will respect
“So people will only respect
you if you do some killing first?” asked the dragon. Sir Philip looked worried
. “I guess you’re right
. But what am I supposed
to do now?” “I suggest
you start by putting your pants on,” said the dragon.