Read “The Secret” and answer the questions that follow.
1. One morning Janie Rose woke up to a big crash in her room. She opened her eyes slowly, scared of what she might find.
2. She saw her unpacked boxes from the move scattered on the floor. Janie screamed in her pillow, “I wish I never had to move!”
3. Janie’s mom got a new job which moved Janie from her school, soccer team, and friends.
4. Janie got out of bed and went downstairs to fix a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Her mom was already down there and told Janie, good morning. Janie mumbled something that sounded like a good morning.
5. Her mom sat down beside Janie and tried to make her feel better by telling her that she would meet new friends and to give this town a chance. Janie just rolled her eyes, and slurped the milk up from her cereal bowl.
6. Janie then got up and went back to her room. She crawled back in bed and pulled her covers up to her chin. She stared at the window, and the old chest underneath it. The chest was there when they moved in.
7. Janie got out of bed and walked over to see what was in it. She opened it up to find many neat treasures. She found dolls, hair bows, colors, and a rolled up piece of paper.
8. She opened up the paper to find that it was a map. The map title read, The Secret of Blue Ridge.
“Hmmm, that is the name of this town,” Janie said.
9. As Janie studied the map she realized that this big secret was at Blue Ridge Library. Janie got herself ready and ran down the stairs with the map.
10. She grabbed an apple and told her mom she was headed to the library as she was running out the door. Janie’s mom yelled, “You don’t even know where the library is!”
Janie yelled, “I have a map!”
11. Janie hopped on her bike and looked at the compass rose. The compass rose showed that the library was north of her house.
12. Janie then compared the map symbols to the map key. The map symbols showed Janie that she would pass Bert’s Grocery, Amelia’s Flowers, and Carl’s Cars.
13. As Janie followed the map she saw a soccer field with a group of girls playing on it. She stopped for a moment and just watched them.
14. One of the girls ran up to Janie and asked her if she wanted to play. Janie gave a slight smile and said, “Maybe, but I have to take care of something first.”
15. She rode all the way to the library and parked her bike. She went into the library and read the clue on the back of the map.
16. The clue read, look to the stars. “Look to the stars,” Janie said while looking up.
17. Then Janie saw a quote etched on the ceiling. “Make today, better than yesterday, and tomorrow better than today.” Janie thought for a moment and realized that is the secret.
18. She smiled and said, “Now I think I have a soccer game to play.”