Read “The Race” and answer the questions that follow.
1. Jack was the fastest Rabbit in California.
2. Jack also thought
he was the most handsome
Rabbit in California. He was skinny like a green bean. His ears stood straight
upon his head, and they were as tall as the Empire State Building. Jack’s fur
was gray and fluffy
3. Jack did not just hop about through
, but his skinny body almost flew through
. He hopped so fast that you never even saw his feet hit the ground.
4. One day he saw a flyer inviting all rabbits to enter the 35th annual
Rabbit Run. The winner would win the gold trophy
cup filled with the juiciest carrots from Farmer Brown’s garden.
5. Jack knew he had to sign up. After he signed up, he began to practice
. Jack had one week before the race, and he wanted to be ready.
6. On the day of the race, Jack saw rabbits from all over. He saw tiny
size rabbits, large rabbits, short-eared rabbits, and long-eared rabbits, white rabbits, black rabbits, spotted rabbits, and all different
kinds of rabbits.
7. One of the rabbits had long ears that hung to the floor. He hopped up to Jack and said, “Hi, my name is Marty. I’m from Jackson County. I’m going to win that carrot cup for my Mamma. She has seven baby rabbits that need
tending to. What is your name?” Jack just said, “Jack.”
8. Marty continued to talk and talk like Jack was his best friend. Marty talked about his brothers and sisters, Farmer Brown, how barley is good for you, and so much more.
9. Jack listened and looked disturbed.
10. Once it was time for the race, all of the rabbits lined up. Marty lined up by Jack and wished him luck.
11. Once the race started, Jack was off, and all you could see was a cloud of dust. As Jack was looking behind himself, he ran right
into a thorn bush and got tangled
12. The other rabbits began to pass him by, yet no one stopped to help except Marty. Jack said, “Marty, what are you doing? You need
to go so you can win the cup of carrots for you, Mamma.” Marty said, “You should always stop and help someone in need
, and everything else will work out.”
13. Jack felt very bad for feeling annoyed
with Marty earlier.
14. Once he got out of the thorn bush, Marty asked Jack if he wanted to race and gave him a wink.
15. Jack said okay and shook his head, and smiled. They asked Lawrence, a lizard
, to tell them when to go. Lawrence said, “On your Mark. Get Set. Go!”
16. Jack started hopping into a cloud of dust. Marty just left him in the dust. Marty caught up to everybody and left them in the dust. Marty hopped through
line to the gold cup of carrots.
17. Jack shook Marty’s paw
and laughing asked him how he did it. Marty said, “It is just the way I am made. My ears hang down, so when I run, they do not catch the wind like yours. I do not have anything to hold me back.”
18. Jack congratulated Marty and started to walk off. Marty yelled, “Come have some juicy carrots with me.” Jack said, “I thought
they were for your family?” Marty said, “They are! Friends are family too!”