Get Full Access to Grade 6 English Language and Arts Skill Builder + CMAS Assessment Rehearsal
Currently, you have limited access to Grade 6 English Language and Arts Skill Builder + CMAS Assessment Rehearsal. The Full Program includes,
If you invent a new word and enough people like it, you may find it in the dictionary. Dictionaries add new words as they come into common use. The fancy word for a brand-new word is “neologism.”In 2011, the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary added some neologisms you probably know, such as “tweet,” “fist bump,” and “social media.”
Some of the new words may not be so familiar.
· “Planking” is a game of lying face down, hands at your sides, in the most unusual place you can think of, and having your picture taken and posted on the internet.
· A “bromance” is a close friendship – but not a romance – between two men.
· A “robocall” is a call made automatically by a machine repeating a taped message.
· A “helicopter parent” is one who hovers over their children, becoming much too involved in their lives.
· And “crowdsourcing”? That’s the way many people can each do a little bit of a very large project. The country of Iceland, for example, is crowdsourcing a new constitution for their country, so if you have an idea about what they ought to include, you can go online and send them your suggestion.
At the same time new words are being added, old words that are no longer widely recognized are dropped from the dictionary. This year, the dictionary deleted the words “growlery” (a room where you can go to complain) and “brabble” (another word for squabble). If you haven’t heard those words before, you probably won’t miss them!
What is the purpose of the passage above?
Pins Related to RI.6.6 more..
0 Ratings & 0 Reviews