Read “Just Try One More Time” and answer the questions that follow.
1. Itchy tulle
, bright make-up, tap shoes, and more. Katie loved going to dance class.
2. She wore a pink leotard
, pink tights, a pink tutu, and pink ballet
shoes. It is a good thing Katie’s favorite
color was pink.
3. Her teacher, Ms. Anna, danced in many ballets and loved Katie’s class most of all.
4. Katie was a superstar at turns and leaps. She didn’t even have to practice
5. One day Ms. Anna was ready to teach them something new. Katie could not wait to find out what it was.
6. Ms. Anna told her students about the importance of flexibility
in dance. She went on to slide her front foot forward
and her other foot backward
all the way to the floor. Ms. Anna told the students that this was a front split
, and before the students could do this, they would have to work on their stretches.
7. Katie knew she could do this and started to do a front split
. She was not even halfway to the ground when pain rushed up both her legs. Katie quickly got up. She looked at Ms. Anna, confused
. Ms. Anna said, “There are things in life that we do not get the first time. These are the things that we must practice
and work on until we get them.”
8. Katie worked on her stretches every day. She would get closer and closer to the floor but never made it all the way.
9. One day Katie just got up, sat on her tape, and cried. Ms. Anna walked over and asked Katie what was wrong.
10. Katie said, “I will never get this! I have practiced and practiced, and it still hurts! I give up!”
12. Ms. Anna told Katie her homework every night until the next practice
was to think about what Thomas Edison said. He said, “The most certain
way to succeed
is always to try just one more time.”
13. The next day Katie sat in her room and thought
about this. She said to herself, “Just try one more time.” Katie stretched and tried her forward split
. She didn’t make it all the way to the floor.
14. Katie did this every night, saying to herself to try one more time, and every night she got closer, but she did not make it.
15. When it was time for a class, they all started their stretches, and with a heavy sigh
, Katie said, “Just try one more time.” This time when she did her forward split
, she slid down to the floor with ease
. Katie looked at Ms. Anna, and they both smiled.