1. A life on the ocean wave
2. A home on the rolling deep,
3. Where the scattered waters rave
4. And the winds their revels keep!
5. Like an eagle caged, I pine1
7. Oh! give me the flashing brine2
9. Once more on the deck I stand
10. Of my own swift-gliding craft:
11. Set sail
! Farewell to the land!
13. We shoot through
the sparkling foam
14. Like an ocean-bird set free;
15. —Like the ocean-bird, our home
16. We’ll find far out on the sea.
17. The land is no longer in view,
18. The clouds have begun to frown
20. We’ll say, “Let the storm come down!”
21. And the song of our hearts shall be,
22. While the winds and the waters rave
23. A home on the rolling sea!
24. A life on the ocean wave
: to want something badly
5 abaft: behind