A Life on the Ocean Wave by Epes Sargent
1. A life on the ocean wave,
2. A home on the rolling deep,
3. Where the scattered waters rave,
4. And the winds their revels keep!
5. Like an eagle caged, I pine1
6. On this dull, unchanging shore:
7. Oh! give me the flashing brine2,
8. The spray and the tempest's3 roar!
9. Once more on the deck I stand
10. Of my own swift-gliding craft:
11. Set sail! Farewell to the land!
12. The gale4 follows fair abaft5.
13. We shoot through the sparkling foam
14. Like an ocean-bird set free;
15. -Like the ocean-bird, our home
16. We'll find far out on the sea.
17. The land is no longer in view,
18. The clouds have begun to frown;
19. But with a stout vessel6 and crew,
20. We'll say, "Let the storm come down!"
21. And the song of our hearts shall be,
22. While the winds and the waters rave,
23. A home on the rolling sea!
24. A life on the ocean wave!